Please note: this schedule is subject to change.
March 5 (Thursday): Introductions & Grading Contracts
March 9 (Monday): Defining Concepts, Close-Reading, & Double-Entry Notebooks
- Reading due:
- Matthew Parfitt, “Chapter 2: Active Reading,” in Writing In Response [CP]
- Christopher Schmidt, “Why Are Dystopian Films on the Rise Again?,” JStor Daily [CP]
- Bring to class: a notebook you will use/keep all semester, and/or a laptop/tablet you can consistently bring to our Monday meetings
March 12 (Thursday): Language & Dystopia
- Reading due:
- Judith Little, “Introduction,” pages 13-29, from Feminist Philosophy and and Science Fiction: Utopias & Dystopias (skim only)
- Reading due: Octavia E. Butler, “Speech Sounds,” pages 185-198, from Feminist Philosophy and Science Fiction: Utopias & Dystopias [CP]
March 16 (Monday): Apocalypse – Now?
- Gwendolyn Foster, “Embracing the Apocalypse” and “The End of the Future,” pages 45-69, in Hoarders, Doomsday Preppers, and the Culture of Apocalypse [CP]
March 19 (Thursday): Reading Poetry
- Reading due: T.S. Eliot, “The Hollow Men;” Lorca, “Dawn;” Yeats, “The Second Coming” [CP]
March 23 (Monday): Performing Violence
- Reading due: Sarah Kane, Blasted [CP]
- Writing due: Bring rough draft of response to poetry for peer review
March 26 (Thursday): Responding to Blasted
- Writing due: upload poetry response to Dropbox as a typed document (you can use the computer lab to upload the response when we meet)
- Reading due: Graham Saunders, “This Disgusting Feast of Filth: Blasted,” pages 37-70, in “Love Me or Kill Me:” Sarah Kane and the Theatre of Extremes [CP]
March 30 (Monday): Staging Violence
- Peer review: Written responses to Blasted
April 2 (Thursday): Portfolio Development/Reflection, Conferences
- Writing due: Upload responses to Blasted on Dropbox over the weekend (no later than April 6th)
APRIL 3-11: Spring Break (no classes)
April 13 (Monday): World Without Men
- Reading due: Y: The Last Man, Volumes 1 & 2 [check email for access]
April 16 (Thursday): The Gaze & Reading Comics
- Reading due: Laura Mulvey, “Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema,” pages 231-241 [CP]
April 20 (Monday): The Gaze & Y: The Last Man
- Writing responses to Y: The Last Man
April 22 (Wednesday, classes follow Monday schedule): Feminism & Y: The Last Man
- Writing workshop/peer review of Y: The Last Man papers
April 23 (Thursday): No class
- Class cancelled.
April 27 (Monday): Zombie Apocalypse!
- Reading due: MR Carey, The Girl With All the Gifts, chapters 1-30
April 30 (Thursday): Zombie Apocalypse!
- Reading due: The Girl With All the Gifts, chapters 31-49
May 4 (Monday): Zombie Apocalypse!
- Reading due: Finish Girl With All the Gifts
May 7 (Thursday): Written responses (Zombie Apocalypse!)
- Reading due: Sarah Juliet Loro & Karen Embry, “Zombie Manifesto: The Nonhuman Condition in the Era of Advanced Capitalism” [CP]
May 11 (Monday): Portfolio Development
- Bring in 2-3 pieces of informal writing, examples of revision, and examples of peer review
- Bring in Zombie papers for peer review.
May 14 (Thursday): Portfolio Workshop
- Portfolio review; submit draft of zombie response
May 18 (Monday): Conferences
- Deposit TWO of the following three exhibits in your Dropbox folder prior to our meeting on Monday:
- Idea Development
- Peer Review
- Consult the Portfolio page for more information on these exhibits.
May 21 (Thursday): Portfolio Workshop
May 25 (Monday): No class – Memorial Day
May 28 (Thursday): Portfolio Workshop
June 1 (Monday): Final Exam, Portfolio Submission
June 4 (Thursday): No classes scheduled – commencement
June 8 (Monday): Grade Conferences